This is a complete guide to fully explain whether French bulldogs can eat watermelon or not.
I am going to be covering everything about feeding watermelon to French bulldogs and also shade more light on the health benefits of the fruit.
So without much being said, let`s dive in.
Watermelons belong to a family vine like flowering plants called Cucurbitaceae. The plant species is originally domesticated in West Africa but it is now cultivated world wide.
There are actually 1000 varieties of watermelon plants being grown all over the world today and all of them have a lot of nutritional value and health benefits for both humans and omnivorous animals like dogs.
Is Watermelon Safe For French Bulldogs?
Watermelon is completely safe for French bulldogs to eat since the fruit does not contain any substance that is toxic to dogs in any way. Watermelon is actually packed with valuable nutrients that are very crucial for your French bulldog`s health.
The fruit is a great source of antioxidants that are believed to lower the risk of life threatening diseases like cancer.
However, dog owners should always watch the amount of watermelon that they allow their four-legged friends to eat as a lot of the fruit can lead to malnutrition especially for small breeds like the French bulldog.
Can French Bulldogs Eat Watermelon Rind?
French bulldogs should not eat watermelon rind because their digestive system is not strong enough to effectively digest that part of a watermelon.
The watermelon rind is very tough and rigid so it might cause some serious intestinal problems for your fury child.
Can French Bulldogs Eat Watermelon Seeds?
Seeds are generally difficult for dogs to digest and that can be more true for small breeds like the French bulldog.
Watermelon can cause digestion problems and intestinal issues for your dog. That is why it is important for pet owners to keep watermelon seeds away from their Frenchies.
How Much Watermelon Can Frenchies Eat?
French bulldogs are a very small breed and they generally should not eat a lot of food and treats.
Many animal nutritionists suggest that dogs should not eat treats equal to more that 10% of their daily food intake.
So this means that treats like watermelon should not make up of more than 10% of your French bulldog`s daily food intake.
How To Feed Watermelon To Your Frenchie
Here are some key things that you should remember when feeding watermelon to your French bulldog:
- Avoid The Rind- The watermelon rind is very difficult for dogs to digest and it might cause some intestinal problems for your four-legged child.
- Avoid The Seeds- Dogs generally find seeds to be difficult to digest and that is even more true for small breeds like the French bulldog.
- Serve The Fruit In Moderation- Vets and animal nutritionists generally advise that treats like watermelon should not make up of more than 10% of a dog`s daily food intake. That is why it is important for dog owners to control the amount of watermelon that their fury child get to eat.
Health Benefits Of Watermelon To French Bulldogs
Watermelon has a lot of health benefits for both humans and omnivorous animals like dogs.
Here are some of the key health benefits of watermelon to your French bulldog:
- Helps With Hydration- Watermelon is actually 92% water so it is a great treat for keeping your Frenchie hydrated especially during the some where they tend to overheat.
- Lowers The Risk Of Cancer- Watermelon is packed with various antioxidants which are believed to significantly contribute to lowering the risk of cancer.
- Improves Digestion- Watermelon s a great source of dietary fiber which is crucial for improving the digestion process and preventing constipation.
- Highly Nutritious- The fruit is packed with valuable nutrients that are very crucial for body function and growth.
- May Improve Heart Health- Watermelon is packed with nutrients that many studies have linked to improving heart health.
Verdict: Can French Bulldogs Safely Eat Watermelon?
Yes, French bulldogs can safely eat watermelon without experiencing any negative reaction. The fruit does not contain any substance that is toxic to dogs.
However, it is important for dog owners to avoid feeding the rind and seeds of watermelon to their dogs as these parts are very difficult for them to digest.
You should also watch the amount of watermelon that your dog eats because consuming a lot of the fruit can cause malnutrition especially for small breeds like the French bulldog.