This is a complete guide on whether French bulldogs should eat apples or not.
I am going to be covering everything about safely feeding apples to your Frenchie and also explain some of the health benefits of the fruit.
Let`s get started.
Interesting Facts About Apples
- The scientific name for the apple fruit is Malus domestica.
- The apple tree originated in Central Asia where its wild ancestor, Malus sieversii is still found today.
- There are 2500 varieties of apples grown in the United States.
- There are 7500 varieties of apples grown world wide.
- The apple fruit is a rich source of nutrients and it has a lot of health benefits for both humans and omnivorous animals like dogs.
Are Apples Safe For French Bulldogs?
Yes, French bulldogs can safely eat apples. Frenchies are not allergic to the fruit so they can definitely enjoy some good apple treats as long as they are served in moderation.
Apples have been known to have a lot of health benefits for humans and that is also the case for animals like dogs.
Dogs are classified as omnivores which means that they can get energy from both animal and plant based foods.
French bulldogs can safely digest apples and absorb all the nutrients from the fruit for body function and growth.
However, Frenchies are a very small dog breed so eating a lot of sweet foods is not a good idea for their health.
That is why it is very important for French bulldog parents to watch the amount of apples that they feed their four-legged child.
Can French Bulldogs Eat Apple Seeds?
Apple seeds are not safe for French bulldogs to eat because they contain a chemical called cyanide which is very toxic and poisonous to dogs.
It is very important for pet owners to keep apple seeds away from their dogs and should immediately seek professional medical advise if their dog ingests even the smallest size of an apple seed.
Can Frenchies Eat Apple Skin And Core?
The skin and core of an apple fruit is also not safe for dogs to eat since they contain a significant amount of the cyanide chemical which is toxic to them.
Can French Bulldogs Drink Apple Juice?
Freshly squeezed apple juice is totally safe for dogs to drink. However, it is not safe for dogs to drink the 100% apple juice that is sold in stores because most brands add additives like sugar and preservatives which are toxic to dogs.
How Many Apples Can French Bulldogs Eat Per Day?
As mentioned earlier, French bulldogs should eat a moderate amount of apples per day because of their small size and required daily food intake.
Vets and animal nutritionists recommend that treats like apples should not make up of more that 10% of a dog`s daily food intake so you can use that as a guideline to determine the exact amount of apples you should give your Frenchie.
French bulldogs should generally eat an approximate of 25-30 calories of dog food per pound of their total body weight per day. The average weight of a Frenchie is around 25 pounds.
This mean that an average sized Frenchie should eat about 625-750 calories per day and considering that treats should only make up of 10% we can conclude that your French bulldog should only eat about 62.5-75 calories of apples per day.
On the other hand, one full sized apple contains 95 calories so this will mean that an average sized French bulldog should eat a maximum of 3/4 regular sized apple per day.
How To Serve Apples To Your Frenchie
Here are some tips for serving apples to your Frenchie…
- Remove The Seeds- Apple seeds contain a chemical called cyanide which is very toxic to dogs.
- Remove The Skin- The skin also contains the cyanide chemical.
- Avoid The Core- There are significant traces of the cyanide chemical inside the core of an apple fruit due to its proximity to the seeds.
- Serve In Moderation- Treats like apples should only make up of 10% of a dog`s daily food intake so they should be served in very moderate amounts.
- Only Serve The Apples In Their Raw Form- Avoid giving processed apple foods to your French bulldog because most brands add sugar and preservatives to these foods. Dogs should only eat apples in their raw and natural form.
Health Benefits Of Apples To Frenchies
Apples have numerous health benefits for both humans and omnivorous animals like dogs. The fruit is a rich source of nutrients that are very crucial for body function and growth.
Here are some of the key health benefits of feeding apples to your French bulldog…
- Apples Are Highly Nutritious– The apple fruit is a rich source of nutrients like potassium as well as vitamins C and K.
- Aiding And Improving Digestion- Apples are a great source of dietary fiber which is known for improving digestion and preventing constipation.
- Lowers The Risk Of Cancer- Several studies have revealed that apples contain antioxidants which are very crucial for reducing the risk of cancer.
Verdict: What Happens If A French Bulldog Eats Apples?
Dogs can safely eat apples so you should expect your French bulldog to maintain their natural state if they ingest an unprocessed apple fruit.
However, certain parts of the apple fruit like seeds, skin and core are not safe for dogs to ingest because they contain a chemical called cyanide which is toxic and poisonous to the four-legged animal.
Symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea can be observed if a dog eats even a small amount of apple seeds, skin or core.
Dog owners should avoid giving these parts of the apple fruit to their four-legged friends and immediately seek medical attention if a dog eats any amount of seeds, skin or core of the apple fruit.
Can Dogs Eat Apples?
Can French Bulldogs Eat Cucumbers?
Can French Bulldogs Eat Eggs?
Can French Bulldogs Eat Watermelon?
Can French Bulldogs Eat Strawberries?
Can French Bulldogs Eat Bananas?
Can French Bulldogs Eat Carrots?
Can French Bulldogs Eat Cheese?
Can French Bulldogs Swim?
Do French Bulldogs Drool A Lot?
Do French Bulldogs Bark A Lot?