Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Are Grapes Safe And Good For Dogs?


This is a complete guide to answer the question of whether dogs can eat grapes or not.

I am going to be explaining everything about feeding grapes to dogs and the dangers associated with that.

Let`s get started.

Are Dogs Allergic To Grapes?

Are dogs allergic to grapes and are they safe for dogs to eat?

Yes.Dogs are allergic to grapes and they cannot eat grapes as it has been proven that grapes cause renal failure in dogs but the actual substance behind grape poisoning is still unknown.

In the next sections of this guide I am going to answer these questions in greater detail and fully explain whether dogs can eat grapes or not.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

a bunch of grapes

So dogs can literally eat everything that a human being considers to be food, right?

Well, that is not true.

Not everything that humans can eat is safe for dogs and as mentioned earlier grapes happen to be a good example.

Dogs cannot eat grapes and it is actually not safe to feed them to your furry friend in any quantity.

It has been proven that grapes cause renal failure in dogs but the actual substance behind grape poisoning is still unknown.

Extensive research is still being conducted but it is believed that the reason why grapes are toxic to the kidneys of dogs has something to do with nephrotoxic agents (substances which are toxic to kidneys) found in grapes.

There are also theories to suggest that idiosyncratic reactions (chemical reactions which rarely and unpredictably occur) as a result of ingesting grapes can also lead to hypovolemic shock (excessive blood or fluid loss leading to the heart failing to pump)  and renal ischemia (lack of blood in any of the kidneys).

If the jargon confused you in anyway then that might be a sign that you should not feed your dog some grapes.

Grapes are bad and they are not safe for dogs to ingest and you need to keep them far from your dog.

Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

can dogs eat and have raisins (dried grapes)

Raisins are dried grapes that are produced around the world for various uses.

The general rule is that when fruits are dried, their nutrients become more concentrated and if the same is true for grapes then they might actually be more dangerous when dried than fresh.

And although raisins are the most common grape product they are not the only derivative of grapes that is harmful to dogs.

Grapes are not good for dogs whether dried, cooked or in their raw form and since a raisin is just a dried grape that means you should also keep them away from your dog.

How Many Grapes Are Not Safe For Dogs?

The amount of grapes that can cause fatal damage to dogs vary from dog to dog.

Some dogs can consume just one grape and experience signs of poisoning and some may eat a significant amount and still be okay.

So since you do not know which amount can lead to poisoning for your dog then it is always safe to keep grapes away from them.

Dogs should not be allowed to eat any grapes or their products such as raisins regardless of the quantity.

In fact, a recent study that reviewed 180 reports recorded by the Veterinary Poisons Information Services between August 1994 and September 2007 on the ingestion of grapes and raisins by dogs showed some dogs being affected after the ingestion of 1 kilogram of grapes and some after ingesting only a handful.

As you can see the ingestion of grapes or raisins and renal failure is not proportional to the amount taken.

So here is the bottom line.

You should not give your dog any grapes or raisins regardless of the quantity as the problems associated with that can actually be bigger than you think.

In the next section we shall be looking at the signs and symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs.

Signs And Symptoms Of Dog Grape Poisoning

The signs and symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs can be broken down into two stages.

First Stage

Here is a breakdown of the first stage signs:

  • Vomiting- usually occurs within 24 hours of ingestion and partially digested residues of grapes or grape products might be present in the vomit.
  • Diarrhea
  • Anorexia- a loss of appetite for food
  • Lethargy- a lack of energy
  • Abdominal pain

Second Stage

The second stage is characterized by signs of renal failure or insufficiency and can manifest differently from dog to dog.

Here is a breakdown of some of the different manifestations of renal failure or insufficiency in dogs:

  • Oliguria- a low urine output
  • Anuria- the failure of kidneys to produce urine
  • Polydipsia- excessive thirst
  • Proteinuria- the presence of abnormal quantities of protein in the urine
  • An elevated serum (part of the blood plasma) concentrations of creatinine and urea

So these are the most common signs and symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs and in the next section we shall be diving into the available treatments for such cases.

Treatments Of Grape Poisoning In Dogs

The type of treatment for grape poisoning in dogs is mostly dependent on the amount of time from ingestion.

Wikipedia has a great list of the treatment methods for great poisoning which we have borrowed for this article.

Here is a summary of the treatment types and the amount of time from ingestion:

  • Induced vomiting (Emesis)- generally recommended if the dog has eaten grapes within the past 2 hours.
  • Use of activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxins in the blood stream.
  • Dialysis of the blood if anuria develops
  • Use of dopamine to stimulate urine production if oliguria occurs.

Home Remedies

We understand that the veterinary hospital is not always within your reach and for that reason we have compiled a list of some home remedies that you can use to treat your dog after grape poisoning.

And please note that this is not us telling you to get rid of professional medical advice from trained individuals.

So what are some home remedies for treating grape poisoning in dogs?

Well, inducing vomiting is on the top of the list but this should be done only if the dog has ingested the grapes in the past hour or so.

Caution should be taken as some dogs tend to inhale the vomit into the lungs if they are not so healthy.

For dogs, the only safe and recommended home product to induce vomiting is 3% hydrogen peroxide.

The rule of thumb is that the dose of hydrogen peroxide in dogs is approximately 0.5-1ml per pound (half a kilogram) of body weight.

Take care to always measure the correct amount of hydrogen peroxide as giving too much can result in uncontrollable bloody vomiting.

Can Grapes Kill A Dog?

A quick summary of this whole article is the fact that grapes and all of their products are actually dangerous for dog ingestion and dog parents should try their best to keep grapes away from their dogs.

Grape poisoning has the potential to kill your dog or cause some irreversible damages that your dog will have to live with for the rest of its life.

Just be safe and keep grapes away dogs.

Recent Posts

HTML Document

We are a Chewy affiliate and receive referral payments for purchases made through our links at no extra cost to you.

This site does not constitute pet medical advice, please consult a licensed veterinarian in your area for pet medical advice.