Question: Can dogs eat acai berries?
Answer: Dogs should not eat acai berries. The ASPCA does not consider acai berries on the list of foods dogs should avoid but it is important to note that the berries contain a significant amount of a substance called theobromine which can be harmful to dogs when ingested in large quantities.
This guide covers all the dangers of feeding acai berries to dogs and why they should be avoided at all cost. Here are some of the topics we are going to be covering:
- Is acai toxic to dogs?
- Why are acai berries not good for dogs?
- Signs and symptoms of acai poisoning.
- What to do if dog eats acai berries?
So without further ado, let’s get started.
The acai berry can be described as an inch-long, reddish-purple fruit that comes from the acai palm tree, which is native to Central and South America. The fruit has plenty of health benefits to humans and animals as a number of studies have actually revealed that the acai fruit pulp is even richer in antioxidants than other fruits from the berry family like cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries.
However, despite all their health benefits it is still not encouraged to give the fruit to dogs especially in large amounts.
Is Acai Toxic To Dogs?
The ASPCA does not include acai berries on the list of people foods that are toxic to pets so it can be safe to feed the fruit in moderate amounts. Some sources advice against giving your dog an entire bowl of acai berries but we would encourage any dog owner to completely avoid the fruit.
The main reason why acai berries are not good for dogs is the presence of a substance called theobromine in the fruit. Theobromine is one of the major reasons for chocolate poisoning in dogs so it is not a safe ground to stand on.
Why Acai Berries Are Not Good For Dogs?
Acai berries contain a significant amount of theobromine which is very toxic to dogs. Theobromine can speed the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system of dogs. The risk of a dog becoming sick after ingesting theobromine will depend on the amount of theobromine ingested and the weight of the dog.
This is one of the main reasons why it is a good idea for dogs to completely avoid acai berries because it might be difficult to determine the safe amount that won’t lead to theobromine poisoning. In the next sections I am going to be explaining the signs and symptoms of theobromine poisoning in dogs.
Signs Of Acai Poisoning In Dogs
The signs and symptoms of acai poisoning in dogs are similar to those of chocolate poisoning since they are all cause by theobromine toxicity. The signs of theobromine poisoning usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has eaten it and may last up to 72 hours. Here is a brief summary of the signs:
- Increased urination.
- Elevated or abnormal heart rate.
- Collapse and death.
Dog Ate Too Much Acai: What To Do?
Dogs may not experience any signs of theobromine poisoning after eating moderate amounts of acai berries but you should expect to observe some of the symptoms after your dog eats too much of the fruit. The common amount of acai to cause harm in dogs is mostly a full bowl of the fruit.
So is what you can do if your dog eats too much acai berries:
- Call or send a message to the Pet Helpline at 952-HELP-PET (952-435-7738).
- Visit your nearest veterinarian for professional medical advise.
- Induce vomiting. Please note that this should only be an option if you cannot immediately reach professional for expert medical advise.
So, Can Dogs Eat Acai?
The ASPCA does not include acai berries on their list of people foods that pets should avoid so it is fair to say that the fruit is safe when ingested in moderate amounts. However, acai berries contain a significant amount of theobromine which is very toxic to dogs.
Theobromine is the one of the main reasons for chocolate poisoning in dogs and it can e extremely dangerous when ingested in large amounts.
It is greatly encouraged to completely avoid feeding your dog some acai berries since it might be difficult to determine the actual amount of the fruit that can cause theobromine poisoning to your dog.